[tor-relays] Bridge Operators - Heartbleed, Heartwarming, and Increased Help

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Fri Apr 25 03:16:22 UTC 2014

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:00:53 -0400
Steve Snyder <swsnyder at snydernet.net> wrote:

> Let us know if/when obfsproxy runs on CentOS.

It's broken?  If someone files a bug explaining what's broken about it,
the chances of it working again will rise significantly.

For what it's worth asn and myself have been looking into making sure
that it will run with the distribution packaged python (and assorted
libraries) shipped with Debian oldstable which is probably similarly
ancient (See Bug #11558).

> Even better, if/when it is back to being written in C, instead of
> version-specfic Python.  That will increase obfsproxy use  more than
> any heartfelt request.

That's unlikely to happen.  The closest thing that exists to a native
implementation of the more recent pluggable transports is obfsclient,
but it's client only and uses "version-specific C++" that the standard
CentOS compiler will choke on.

From my perspective it would be easier to fix obfsproxy to better
tolerate dependencies being prehistoric, but again, without a detailed
bug report to work off of, that won't happen unless by happy accident.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel