[tor-relays] Grouping cloud relays running within same provider

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 18:42:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Paul Syverson
<paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> "Of those 15,000 paths, 163 (or ≈ 1.1%) contained an entry and exit
> node that resided in the same AS despite having an IP address from
> different /16 subnets. Out of those 163 paths, all but one also had a
> distinct /8 network address."

There are two questions new operators ask:
- What provider allows Tor [exit] nodes so that I can place my new node there?
(This is a very common question and leads directly to duplication.)
- Where are there no relays right now so that I can try putting one there?
(This question is so rarely asked that I cannot recall seeing it.)

Even though 1.1% is small it (AS/cidr) does not cover some relevant
crossfields such as legal jurisdiction, I still think a project to research
current relays would be useful (cidr block, AS, [upstream] hosting provider,
physical/govt location, relay operator and location, funding source, etc).
Then new operators could query an xor report of fields with
- input their prospective new relay
- get a top ten list of where we are already too heavy, do not host there
- use our data to suggest new placements, ie:
we have no relays in these countries, in these AS by size, etc...

It would make some sense to have onionooo plugin to carry this
extended db, particular since hoster and some other fields would
require human researched/maintained input.