[tor-relays] Announcing the removal of Tor v0.2.2.x relays

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Apr 21 19:23:34 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 01:36:53PM +0000, Nusenu wrote:
> Question arisen from looking at the relays by version graph:
>
> If you look at that graph you see that on 2014-04-08 the number of
> relays (in the consensus) running 0.2.2.x were about zero,
> and now (2014-04-21) we are back at about 170 v0.2.2.x relays.
>
> https://metrics.torproject.org/network.html#versions
>
> Why is that?
> Has the decision postponed/revisited due to the concurrent reduction of
> relays (heartbleed)?

The changes are in
which is merged to git master and will be out in Tor 0.2.5.4-alpha.

So only when a majority of directory authorities are running with that
patch will the 0.2.2.x relays be cut out of the network.

But it's actually more subtle than that -- it's more accurately described
as "only when 5 or more directory authorities are online and not running
the patch will those relays be published".

https://consensus-health.torproject.org/ indicates that three authorities
are running the patch, so six aren't. If two of those six went offline,
that's enough for the remaining authorities to not put together a majority
of Running votes for the 0.2.2.x relays. It happens that two of those six
(turtles and dannenberg) *did* go offline while they were waiting to do
the openssl bug cleanup.

--Roger