[tor-relays] Announcing the removal of Tor v0.2.2.x relays

Nusenu BM-2D8wMEVgGVY76je1WXNPfo8SrpZt5yGHES at bitmessage.ch
Mon Apr 21 13:36:53 UTC 2014

Hi,

as Roger mentioned in a side note [1], tor relays running Tor v0.2.2.x
have been removed from the consensus (#11149) [2].

Even if relay operators with ContactInfo were contacted directly I think
this information would be worthwhile to be mentioned on tpo's twitter
feed and blog. This might increase the likelihood that people still
running ancient tor versions get to know about it.
(even if people running such old tor versions are unlikely subscribers
of either news feed ;)

Question arisen from looking at the relays by version graph:

If you look at that graph you see that on 2014-04-08 the number of
relays (in the consensus) running 0.2.2.x were about zero,
and now (2014-04-21) we are back at about 170 v0.2.2.x relays.

https://metrics.torproject.org/network.html#versions

Why is that?
Has the decision postponed/revisited due to the concurrent reduction of
relays (heartbleed)?

One (fast) v0.2.2.x relay as an example:
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/F499B62325DA32EEAA6451ABF0764E096C8CC16E

[1] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2014-April/004362.html
[2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/11149
[3] https://twitter.com/torproject