[tor-relays] Relay down, "rejected", help

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Sun Apr 20 14:50:40 UTC 2014

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 15:19:57 +0200
Lunar <lunar at torproject.org> allegedly wrote:

> kbesig:
> > Getting closer:
> > I can run tor arm as root, but get this error as <user>:
> > ~$ sudo -u debian-tor arm
> > [sudo] password for <user>:
>
> Urg… please never do that. You should not run applications with the
> same privileges as Tor.

However...

when run as an uprivileged user (with that user a member of the
debian-tor group), arm reports

"[ARM_NOTICE] We were unable to use any of your system's resolvers to
get tor's connections. This is fine, but means that the connections
page will be empty. This is usually permissions related so if you would
like to fix this then run arm with the same user as tor (ie, "sudo -u
<tor user> arm"). "

Mick

 Mick Morgan
 gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312
 http://baldric.net