[tor-relays] Relay down, "rejected", help

Michael Wolf mikewolf at riseup.net
Sat Apr 19 20:50:31 UTC 2014

On 4/19/2014 4:16 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 09:19:26AM -0700, kbesig wrote:
>> Install of tor-arm went well enough, no error msg's.
>>
>> ~$ sudo -u debian-tor arm
>
> You're using arm dangerously. See item #14 on
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-relay-debian
> for the safer way to run arm with your Debian / Ubuntu relay.

<snip>
> --Roger

Wow, I always thought that *was* the "safe" way to run arm.  I wonder
where we both got the advice to do it the dangerous way.

It's worth noting that, under Debian (Jessie, others?), arm will be
unable to read tor's logs if you run it as your user.  The default group
for /var/log/tor is 'adm'.  You'll have to:

$ sudo chgrp -R debian-tor /var/log/tor

This will make the logs readable to you (and arm), but unreadable to any
system monitoring tools that use the adm group.

-- Mike