[tor-relays] Init.d script for two simultaneous Tor instances

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 14:02:27 UTC 2014

I hope my Tor Ansible role will be useful to relay operators:
https://github.com/david415/ansible-tor

You can use it to write many different types of playbooks for
installing/configuring tor on one or more servers. In the github
readme I show several example playbooks to configure tor in various
ways including multiple tor instances on the same machine, obfsproxy
bridges and configuring tor hidden services.

In the case of multiple tor processes per machine I am not using any
init script... but instead set reasonable defaults in each torrc for
User, PidFile, Log and DataDirectory.

One of the reasons that Ansible is great is that the only requirement
for Ansible to run is ssh access (authorized_keys) with sudo nopasswd.
Actually that's not true because some Ansible modules need certain
python modules... but that's easy to deal with.
Ansible tasks are meant to be idempotent operations. By default
ansible will execute each task in parallel on a group of hosts... and
will not proceed with the next task until all hosts in the group are
in the same state.