[tor-relays] NHS UK blocking Tor?

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Tue Apr 15 13:46:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 23:37:35 +0100
Chris Whittleston <csw34 at cam.ac.uk> allegedly wrote:

> Can someone else running a relay from their home connection confirm
> that they get an 'Access denied' error from http://www.nhs.uk? I've
> checked with someone using the same ISP in the flat above me and they
> seem able to access the site just fine, as can I via mobile internet
> so I'm down to suspecting that they are blocking all Tor relay IPs.
> This is the exact error I get:
> Access DeniedYou don't have permission to access "http://www.nhs.uk/"
> on this server.
>
> Reference #18.1f7f1002.1397514736.1fe2170c
> The reference seems to change each time I visit. If this does turn
> out to be them blocking Tor - advice on how to approach contacting
> them to resolve this would be appreciated.

Confirmed. My (non-exit) relay in Amsterdam is blocked. Another
(non-tor) server in Amsterdam is not blocked, nor are my non-tor
servers in the UK, SanFrancisco or NYC blocked.

As for getting this changed, that may be difficult. You could try
contacting the site through the page at:
 http://www.nhs.uk/aboutNHSChoices/Pages/ContactUs.aspx
and selecting the "I have experienced a problem accessing or using the
website or some part of it" radio button and then commenting. You could
contact the NHS at the (postal) address below. You could contact the
DoH (Charles Massey)
https://www.gov.uk/government/people/charlie-massey

As evidence in favour of Tor's value, you could point to the "who uses
Tor" page at https://www.torproject.org/about/torusers.html.en. You
could usefully explain the obvious value of anonymity in browsing health
related sites.

And, since you appear to be in Cambridge, you could look for some
support (and possible advice) from Ross Anderson
(http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/). You can bet that Ross uses Tor, and
he almost certainly has experience in dealing with awkward parts of
HMG.

Best

Mick

-------------------------------------
NHS address

NHS Connecting for Health
Informatics Directorate
Department of Health
Princes Exchange
Princes Square
Leeds
West Yorkshire
LS1 4HY

 Mick Morgan
 gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312
 http://baldric.net