[tor-relays] Heartbleed" Exchange of keys now or later?

Sebastian Urbach sebastian at urbach.org
Wed Apr 9 14:26:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

I recall that Roger Dingledine pointed out that this is a stress situation
for the whole network, but the flags should be in order in just a few days
time.

Better to update OpenSSL right now, discard everything in /keys and wait
for the recovery. I expect that the vast majority of the systems should be
back to business as usual in about 2-3 days.

After updating the OpenSSL, I chopped our relay's keys at noon EST
yesterday. The traffic has indeed collapsed since then. Old configuration
was averaging around 55Mb/s per my Cacti. A URL here:

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/566B0F92197A9D855846E68D2AEEF8266B147D35

This morning my Cacti graphs say it is still sitting at near nothing, like
1.5Mb. "arm" says between 500-600Kb/s. The new URL is here and at least at
this time, you can really see the dropoff in the 3-day graph.

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/30C19B81981F450C402306E2E7CFB6C3F79CB6B2

I wonder how long it will take our relays to recover?

I wonder if it is a good idea, or technically feasible, to do a one time
kick-over of something in the Tor network so that the system sees what the
relay flags etc. should be on these emergency-redefined relays. Certainly
if everyone updated at once and the traffic died like this everywhere, Tor
would be pretty messed.