[tor-relays] Metrics for assessing EFF's Tor relay challenge?

Kostas Jakeliunas kostas at jakeliunas.com
Wed Apr 9 01:18:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 4:06 AM, Lukas Erlacher <tor at lerlacher.de> wrote:

> Hi Kostas,
>
> right now, we're coding challenger against what exists in debian wheezy,
> which means version 0.1.2 of the requests lib using the python-requests
> package you mentioned, where response.json is correct, and not
> response.json() to get json content from the response.
>
> I'd recommend that if you want to make your own "grab stuff from onionoo"
> script suite, to work with onion-py[1] . It's very new, very spiffy and
> uses python 3 and the newest requests lib. (full disclosure: It's my baby
> and I'm desperately looking for testers/users, but that should be obvious
> to anyone who read this thread.)
> Alternatively, convince the right people (presumably Karsten and arma)
> that challenger should switch to a more sustainable runtime than "what we
> can get from wheezy's repositories". ;-)

A-ha! :) That makes sense. (fwiw, i used pip under virtualenv in wheezy;
requests lib version ancient indeed; such is life. fwiw, convincing wheezy
cavepeople to use what you suggest makes sense. It's a false dichotomy
between 'ensures dependences vs. breaks dependencies.')

So

  - the timeout stuff might be useful to everyone involved; it's rough
  - the 'fix' might be useful for people using old 'requests'
  - your onion-py sounds nice

g'day