[tor-relays] running Tor relay live with AddressSanitizer

starlight.2014q2 at binnacle.cx starlight.2014q2 at binnacle.cx
Wed Apr 9 00:44:16 UTC 2014

Based on my experience today, I'd say this is
an excellent idea for any Tor relay operator.

Have been running 'tor' on the router since
late November with AddressSanitizer and
it has crashed exactly ONE time:  Today
when someone attempted to apply the
OpenSSL "Heartbleed" attack against
the relay.

I asked the AS devs about removing the
need for mounting /proc in the 'chroot'
jail and it turns out a simple call can
be inserted to close /proc after AS caching
of address maps is complete.  Haven't
created a patch for that yet, but
here is the info

https://code.google.com/p/address-sanitizer/issues/detail?id=237

My current patch to direct sdtout/stderr
to files is attached.

Only downside is that AS does consume
a lot of memory.  After a month it eats
80% of the 2G of RAM on the router.