[tor-relays] Relay security, re: local network

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu Sep 26 20:25:19 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 12:04:13PM -0800, I wrote:
> Why not?
>
> > I've been running a middle relay for years in my private net behind one
> > adress. no problems there. You should just never run an exit relay there.

EFF recommends against it in their Legal FAQ:
"Should I run an exit relay from my home?"
https://www.torproject.org/eff/tor-legal-faq

Their recommendation comes from dealing with one too many distraught
relay operators who had confused DEA agents show up at their house and
take everything including their toaster "because it might be evidence".

In general we've been doing pretty well at teaching law enforcement in
the US about how Tor works:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/trip-report-october-fbi-conference
but a) there are many other countries out there, and b) all it takes is
one guy who didn't read his "there's this thing called Tor" briefing,
or didn't believe it, to ruin your day/week/month.

So, feel free to do it, but also be aware there's a
tiny-but-hard-to-actually-estimate chance of getting to spend a lot of
time teaching people about Tor.

Thanks!
--Roger