[tor-relays] Which is more helpful, availability or speed?

AVee d6relay at d6.nl
Thu Sep 26 15:11:57 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-26 15:19, Moritz Bartl wrote:
> On 09/26/2013 03:11 PM, phoneyball at vfemail.net wrote:
>> If my relay is in a datacenter with a fast link but constrained by a
>> in+out<100GByte monthly limit, is it more helpful to provide:
>>
>> * a slow relay that is usually available, e.g. 30KByte/sec available
>> about two-thirds of the time, or:
>>
>> * a fast relay that hibernates a lot, e.g. 1MByte/sec but only
>> available
>> 1/50th of the time?
>>
>> Secondly, is it more helpful to be:
>>
>> * available every day for a fraction of that day, or:
>>
>> * available continuously for some consecutive days then hibernated for
>> the rest of the month?
>>
>> Thanks for any advice. (I've read differing opinions on these
>> questions
>> written at different times, but haven't found a clear consensus.)
>
> I don't think there is clear consensus. I would say make it available
> for a consecutive timespan, and set the speed limit to something not
> lower than 1 MB/s.

Would the sensible solution be to set RelayBandwidthBurst to a high
value while leaving RelayBandwidthRate low enough to prevent
hibernation? I'm not sure how this would work out, but it might result
in a relay which is able to support fast connections when required and
still be up most/all the time.

AVee