[tor-relays] Which is more helpful, availability or speed?

phoneyball at vfemail.net phoneyball at vfemail.net
Thu Sep 26 13:11:08 UTC 2013

Hello all,

If my relay is in a datacenter with a fast link but constrained by a
in+out<100GByte monthly limit, is it more helpful to provide:

* a slow relay that is usually available, e.g. 30KByte/sec available
about two-thirds of the time, or:

* a fast relay that hibernates a lot, e.g. 1MByte/sec but only available
1/50th of the time?

Secondly, is it more helpful to be:

* available every day for a fraction of that day, or:

* available continuously for some consecutive days then hibernated for
the rest of the month?

Thanks for any advice. (I've read differing opinions on these questions
written at different times, but haven't found a clear consensus.)

P. Honeyball