[tor-relays] Relay security, re: local network

Lukas Erlacher l.erlacher at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 20:33:14 UTC 2013

Running a tor relay will increase your attack surface vis-a-vis the
internet in the same way that running any other internet-facing
service that could be owned (via, say, a buffer overflow) would.

In general, it is also common that once somebody has taken over a
machine inside your internal network, it is much easier for them to
attack the rest of your internal network.

There are probably no known exploits for the latest stable version of
tor. If an attack surfaces, you will see an announcement on
tor-announce. (the last security announcement was in august:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-announce/2013-August/000089.html)

There are a few things you can do about this, like putting your tor
relay into a DMZ so it can not talk to the rest of your internal
network - the same as for any other internet-facing service you run.
I'm not a networking expert, so I can't give you specific instructions
for that - I hope someone who does will chime in.

Best
Luke