[tor-relays] Relay security, re: local network

Joe yesman at riseup.net
Wed Sep 25 16:10:20 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm planning to run a Tor relay on a spare computer at home. Security is
a concern, and not only regarding the machine running the relay but also
my other computers. Are there any (theoretical or otherwise) known
attacks a person can perform on a running Tor relay to take remote
control of it, and assuming the said person could pull that off, is it
possible to extend this control to the other computers behind the same
router? I am aware of possible DDOS attacks and other risks related to
running an exit, but i am comfortable in taking these chances in my
environment.

I would run the relay on a yet-undecided-Linux distro, possibly Mint
Debian or some flavor of Ubuntu which i am more familiar with, and use
full-disk encryption with strong passwords. Are there any risks to my
other computers worth consideration?

Thanks.