[tor-relays] Future versions and Vidalia?

Luther Blissett lblissett at paranoici.org
Tue Sep 24 22:02:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-23 at 13:36 +0300, J.C. wrote:
> So far I haven't seen any other error messages than something about a
> failed DNS server, which always corrects itself half a second or so
> afterwards, stating nameservers are back up. It's running on a 100/10
> connection, pushing as much upstream as possible, maybe my bandwidth
> isn't sufficient to trigger that error?
>
> Now that you mentioned torrc, i think one problem i encountered was that
> installing Tor didn't create a torrc file anywhere on my system, or it
> was a blank file. I copied a template torrc file contents from a TBB
> from that time but it didn't work, always reverting to a blank torrc.
> Anyway, that's probably best left for troubleshooting at a later time if
> it happens again. I'm still quite new to Linux and it's more than
> possible i screwed up somewhere.
>
> Thanks for checking. :)

Hello JC,

Don't be shy of running tor, you can get support here. As for managing
tor directly from conf files, it isn't so scary even if you are a
newbie. If you'd followed the latest threads you would new that there is
recommendation on upgrading to 0.2.4.x. So assuming you would want to do
that:

https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en#ubuntu

After that, you should just need to edit /etc/tor/torrc and:

# service tor restart

The conf file is self-explained through comments, with verbose examples
on how to do things with tor. Also, don't forget to give contact info on
your node so people can contact you in case they see misbehavior on your
machine.

Shout here if you run into trouble.