[tor-relays] Future versions and Vidalia?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Sep 23 09:58:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:54:34PM +0300, J.C. wrote:
> Are all future versions of Tor Browser Bundle going to have Vidalia
> permanently stripped?

Very likely yes. And replaced with Tor Launcher.

> I'm running a stable relay on Linux with the
> TBB (and thus, Vidalia) instead of installing the Tor packages, and
> i quite like it this way.

Which Linux? If Debian or Ubuntu, you'll probably be much happier using
the deb.

The deb starts at boot, and runs the Tor process as a separate
user. Another huge feature of the deb is that it raises your "ulimit -n"
(the number of sockets a process is allowed to have open) automatically.
Unless it's tiny, a relay run from inside Vidalia is going to run into
that problem pretty quickly.

>  I could try again but i'm
> a huge fan of the "if it's not broken, don't touch it" approach, and
> my relay works fantastic right now.

Which one is it? We can check its statistics to see if that's actually
true. :)

Thanks,
--Roger