[tor-relays] Reimbursement of Exit Operators

tor at t-3.net tor at t-3.net
Sat Sep 21 11:48:00 UTC 2013

On Friday 20/09/2013 at 6:37 am, Moritz Bartl  wrote:

> I don't think exit relay operators are in a position to have anonymity
> in the first place. It is fine if you manage to pay for and run your
> relay anonymously, but I doubt it will survive more than a few LEA
> inquiries where they end up with a fake name instead of a real
> contact.

I get the sense that there are some exit node operators who can't
attempt it  or deliberately aren't for reasons related to the direct
ownership of abuse complaints. But there are some where there could be
ambiguity. It is not always clear-cut who the end-user of each service
is. Things like leased servers with multiple sub-users,
roommate/shared internet, shared VPNs, shells given away to friends,
etc, are a part of it.

> How is the method of transferring funds relevant to liability or risk
> in
> that respect? What method of transfer would change anything about
> that?

 It's not all about the method. Thoughts are:

- One way to damage Tor would be to mess things up for exit node
operators either personally or professionally. IMO the less 'they'
know about exit operators, the less damage they can do with that kind
of approach. That would include information obtained from getting to
know someone on IRC in this context, as you don't really know who you
are talking to or if you're being monitored.

- If authorities can ever build a case where Tor can be accused of
being a dirty little network which hosts criminal content and profits
from it, it seems that it could be fucked. I already saw Tor
identified by one media source as simply being an internet network
that criminals use. We know that this isn't a fair description but I'm
not sure that would make a difference if certain cards get played?

- When you can be demonstrated to have received money, depending upon
what that money was sent for, it can be used against you.

If money was to be sent, it seems better if it were done as a
consulting sort of agreement? It would be invoiced like any other
internet consulting service you are willing to provide (and it
wouldn't be the only service offered). It wouldn't involve
personal-feeling chats on IRC, it would be a professional
relationship. What do you think?

I don't want to scare anyone away with this stuff. Just feel like we
should be more careful than what I was reading. Doesn't feel right to
encourage exit node operators to show up on IRC with their bank
account #s ready to go.