[tor-relays] non-exit risks?

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Fri Sep 20 15:23:50 UTC 2013

On 09/20/2013 04:17 PM, That Guy wrote:
> While I know you have vastly more knowledge and experience than me and
> often my observations or worries are doe to me mis-understanding
> something but about the comment above,  I have experienced issues
> running a non-exit relay pretty soon after it going up and though I have
> no idea if there is a connection, I started to get more trouble after
> the doubling of connections at the end of July.

Yes, unfortunately more and more sites block Tor relay IPs, regardless
of whether they allow exiting (to that site) or not. All that helps here
is friendly education. Whenever you notice something like that, contact
the site owner or blocklist maintainer and teach them about the problem
and how to properly detect Tor exits, namely

https://check.torproject.org/cgi-bin/TorBulkExitList.py
https://www.torproject.org/projects/tordnsel.html.en

This is not the kind of "trouble" Gordon M. is referring to. Especially
exit relays should be run on dedicated IPs, and, if possible, dedicated
machines. Non-exit relays face no such "trouble", there is no known case
of law enforcement asking for customer information or abuse complaints
directed at a non-exit relay.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/