[tor-relays] Reimbursement of Exit Operators

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Fri Sep 20 10:37:59 UTC 2013

On 09/19/2013 12:06 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
>> The Wau Holland Foundation can currently only
>> reimburse via wire transfer.
>> This seems to be end-of-story in terms of who, in the end, is
>> ultimately getting liability/risk, and points to practically no
>> chance at anonymity

I don't think exit relay operators are in a position to have anonymity
in the first place. It is fine if you manage to pay for and run your
relay anonymously, but I doubt it will survive more than a few LEA
inquiries where they end up with a fake name instead of a real contact.

How is the method of transferring funds relevant to liability or risk in
that respect? What method of transfer would change anything about that?

> Think bigger -- for example, if you run a bunch of fast exits you can
> coordinate with your favorite non-profit charity (EFF, CCC, etc) for
> them to get a monthly wire transfer from Wau Holland because of ("on
> behalf of") your relays.
> Moritz, does the current contract approach support (allow) this idea?

Yes, certainly it does. We have brokered similar 'deals' for people in
the past, mostly because they want the legal protection of an
organization for their exit. That's how many of the CCC relays work also.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/