[tor-relays] 0.2.4.17-rc on Pi, a couple weeks on

Gordon Morehouse gordon at morehouse.me
Thu Sep 19 01:14:41 UTC 2013

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 13:16:48 -0400, josh <josh at allensw.com> wrote:

> You may be able to increase the ip_conntrack_max on your router. I had

I can, and have, but eventually its 16MB of RAM becomes a problem.  ;)

The bigger deal, though, is I'm attempting to cobble together a set of scripts and best practices to allow a Raspberry Pi model B (512MB) to be turned into a plug-and-forget relay.  Thus it can't be crashing consumer routers - even crappy ones - or messing up DNS or video streaming or or or.

> a terrible verizon dsl router that would have its connection tracking
> capacity exhausted by pings to games servers. I was able to partially
> resolve the problem my telnetting (yea I know) into the router and
> setting the ip_conntrack_max from 1000 to 65000.  You might also want to
> reduce the amount of time TCP spends in TIME-WAIT.

Definitely shortened the TCP timeouts at the router, with the intent to eventually move that into the Pi itself if feasible and useful.

> Ultimately I replaced the router with a pi based solution with much
> greater resources.

My old WRT54G is pretty long in the tooth these days... still amazingly capable though.

Best,
-Gordon M.