[tor-relays] Tor Relay getting "Failed to terminate process with PID" messages

Michael Gorbach michael at mgorbach.name
Wed Sep 18 21:49:10 UTC 2013

Hi, I started up a Tor relay several days ago, and the usage seems to be ramping up nicely. However, I am seeing some unexpected messages like this, in ARM and in the tor log files:
17:21:56 [NOTICE] Failed to terminate process with PID ‘29778'
They seem to be showing up, reliably, every 5 minutes or so. Each has a different PID. What’s strange is that these PIDs don’t exist by the time I see the message, i.e. I guess whatever process had that PID is now dead.
Anyone know what could be causing this? Should I be concerned, or is this some kind of artifact of my setup or software?

The machine is a modern Gentoo linux install running a 3.10 kernel and Tor 0.2.3.25 (running inside VMWare).
Thanks in advance for your help.

Yours,
~ M.