[tor-relays] Reimbursement of Exit Operators

J.C. jc80 at riseup.net
Wed Sep 18 18:07:14 UTC 2013

Another amateur relay operator here, i run the node "namelesshero" and I
sure hope however this cost reimbursing plan eventually pans out, it
won't discourage small folk like us from running relays. I, too, believe
the exact opposite is desirable instead. I'll admit i'm not quite sure
if i understand the concept here but mixing monetary compensation with
voluntary activity doesn't sound good to me at a first look.

And before someone thinks i'm suggesting everyone should be compensated
if some people are: Personally, running the relay costs me pretty damn
near nothing at all (save for the headache when it refuses to work). I
would pay for the connection regardless, the hardware was obtained
second(or third)-hand for free and since it has other duties in the
local network, it would be running 24/7 even without Tor so electricity
is not a problem. Might as well put the extra bandwidth and CPU cycles
to some good use. The fuzzy feeling of helping is compensation in itself.