[tor-relays] Reimbursement of Exit Operators

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Sep 17 23:52:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 08:27:57PM +0200, Moritz Bartl wrote:
>  The recipient share is calculated from the
> throughput per relay * country factor

It might be worthwhile to make it clearer what "throughput" is here.

I hope it's not consensus weight, since that's not really a measure of
how much use the relay sees.

It could be the bandwidth listed in the descriptor, though that could
be gamed.

The bandwidth history in the extra-info descriptor might actually be
most accurate, since it reflects bytes actually used. But it seems
hard to accurately count that up for a long time period without double-
or under-counting. Unless maybe stem already does exactly this for us?
(These numbers are still gameable too, to be fair.)

I guess just about any answer is a fine start, but I expect you'll have
people wanting to know which answer you picked.

Thanks for keeping this going!

--Roger