[tor-relays] Relay

Martin Weinelt tor at linuxlounge.net
Sat Sep 14 20:27:31 UTC 2013

On 14.09.2013 21:47, Jonathan W wrote:
> I am about to run a relay, but I don't want it using more than
> 1000GB a month.  I prefer to manage this using the *BandwidthRate**
> *but I don't know the math* *to constrain it over a 1000GB a
> month. * * I also want to relay the directory.  Is there a way to
> also use vidalia to interface?  I'll be relaying on a linux
> (ubuntu) server remotly, and I'm using a windows system to set it
> all up.  I'll be using SSH to shell in, but I'd love to use
> vidalia.
>

> Thanks, Jon

Hello Jon,

this is quite easy to determine.

We have a known time frame of a month, lets say the average month has
30 days. Then:
   Timeframe = ~30 days
             = 30 * 24 * 60 * 60 seconds
	     = 30 * 86400 seconds
	     = 2592000 seconds

Since Tor specifies Bandwidth in kB (per second) lets convert your
traffic limit to that.

   Traffic-Limit = 1000 GB
		 = 1000 * 1024 MB
		 = 1000 * 1024 * 1024 kB
		 = 1048510000 kB

- From that we can derive the average speed to reach (or stay below)
your traffic limit. Depending on whether your provider counts TX+RX or
just TX you may or may not have to half the bandwidth.

   Avg. Bandwidth = Traffic-Limit / Timeframe
		  = 1048510000 kB / 2592000 seconds
		  = 404,517746914 kB / s

Cheers!

Martin