[tor-relays] Tor 0.2.4.17-rc on arch armv6

Lukas Erlacher l.erlacher at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 13:13:18 UTC 2013

Hello to everyone with arm hardware and arch linux,

I just set up Tor 0.2.4.17-rc on a raspberry pi and I want to share
what I did just to create a piece of documentation that might be
helpful for others.
I got tor-git from the AUR[1], modified it to fetch 0.2.4.17-release
instead of master, and built it according to the aur[2] and
pkgbuild[3] instructions.

Here is what I did:

1) Backup torrc, fingerprint, and private key of my tor node
2) Read up on AUR and PKGBUILD
3) pacman -R tor tor-socks
4) pacman -s base-devel
5) Download and extract the AUR
6) Carefully inspect the AUR package, especially PKGBUILD and tor.install
7) Modify the PKGBUILD file with _branch=release-0.2.4 and pkgver=0.2.4.17.rc.0
8) makepkg -s
9) pacman -U tor-git-0.2.4.17.rc.0-1-armv6h.pkg.tar.xz
10) mv /etc/tor/torrc /etc/tor/torrc.tor-git.sample
11) mv /etc/tor/torrc.pacsave /etc/tor/torrc
12) systemctl tor start

That's it. Run "tor --version" and it should tell you that it's a git
build of 0.2.4.17-rc.

You will have to rebuild the package for every update you want to get!

As per The Arch Way, Please familiarize yourself with pacman, the AUR,
and PKGBUILD before attempting this!

Absolutely no warranties given. The AUR can seriously damage your system!

Best Regards,
Luke

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tor-git/
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR