[tor-relays] Why is my fast relay so slow to gain popularity?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Sep 11 23:40:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 11:10:07AM -0600, Jesse Victors wrote:
> Do I have to maintain an uptime of ~70 days to see fully utilization
> then? This relay is on a personal computer with a static IP, so it isn't
> on a dedicated server or anything like that. Usually my uptime is around
> several weeks though. I'll be on this same IP for months though.

No, it's ok to be up only some of the time. Most of the question is
what fraction of total time you're up ("weighted fractional uptime"),
not how long you're up before restarts ("mean time between failure",
which is used for calculating the Stable flag).

Or said another way, the more time you miss, the fewer clients will pick
you -- it has to do with whether you are in the set of possible choices
at the moment when they decide to get rid of a current guard from their
list and replace it.

--Roger