[tor-relays] Why is my fast relay so slow to gain popularity?

Jesse Victors jvictors at jessevictors.com
Wed Sep 11 17:10:07 UTC 2013

> (Most folks would just call that 100mbit, that is if your MB is
> MegaByte, hence why 11.5 MiB/s would be more accurate).
Yes, it is megabytes/sec, according to Speedtest.net. Most sysadmins
would say 91.74 mbit down, 60.23 mbit up, (which is as you say basically
100 mbit) but since the Tor measures in MiB/sec I just had Speedtest
convert to that instead. Same thing either way I suppose.

> This blog post from today explains the effect and reasoning:
>  https://blog.torproject.org/blog/lifecycle-of-a-new-relay
Wow, total coincidence that I asked this question on the day that the
answer was posted on the blog (maybe I'm just a Jedi, who knows). That
post explains a lot. I'll have to read it over several times as it's a
bit technical.

Do I have to maintain an uptime of ~70 days to see fully utilization
then? This relay is on a personal computer with a static IP, so it isn't
on a dedicated server or anything like that. Usually my uptime is around
several weeks though. I'll be on this same IP for months though.

> Because otherwise introducing a large set of fast relays and thus hurt
> anonymity.
>
> (On the other side a determined adversary just waits a bit longer)
>
> Greets,
>  Jeroen
That makes sense. I didn't think of that, good one.
Thanks Jeroen for pointing me in the right direction there, much
appreciated.

Live long and prosper,
Jesse V.