[tor-relays] Tor crashes frequently on fast relay

Stephan tor-relay-list at torrified.de
Wed Sep 11 12:18:58 UTC 2013

On 11.09.2013 13:33, Random Tor Node Operator wrote:
> Could you post the corresponding line(s) in your monitrc?

Of course. I use the default of "set daemon 120", so tor is checked once
every 120 seconds ('one cycle'). The tor specific part of the
configuration is this:

    if failed host 127.0.0.1 port 9030 type tcp for 10 cycles then
restart
    if failed host 127.0.0.1 port 9001 type tcp for 10 cycles then
restart
    if 5 restarts within 100 cycles then timeout

I'm still experimenting with the exact numbers. Restarting after only
one failed check was obviously too fast. Waiting for 10 consecutive
failed checks (i.e. tor is not responding for 20 minutes) may be too
long, but I don't want to ruin the 'stable' flag only because a botnet
is wreaking havoc for a few minutes.

The last line is kind of a safeguard. I get monit alerts by email. If
something is seriously broken with my server (or tor) five mails will
suffice. Even if I am on vacation for a few weeks, I don't need a
reminder every 20 minutes. ;-)

-Stephan