[tor-relays] Running Bind locally

Bry8 Star bry8star at inventati.org
Tue Sep 10 07:45:03 UTC 2013

Hi,
If you run your own BIND/named as Authoritative DNS-Server, for some
domain-name that you own, and if it is also configured to function
as a Recursive DNS-Server for local software (in that computer), and
if you have enabled DNSSEC (for recursive side), then that would be
better, imho.

Such, Recursive DNS-Server will be slightly slow as DNS-Server
itself doing query and getting results and responding to clients
when a domain-name is queried for 1st time, but any 2nd time or
later query for same domain-name, will be super fast, as DNS-Server
will use cached/stored dns result to provide response.  And DNSSEC
authenticated results are very very very ACCURATE, comparatively
much much more genuine/original.  DNS-Server's cache will
automatically expire/remove DNS-records, based on expiry time
specified in TTL rdata value in each DNS-record.  If TTL rdata is
not specified, then such DNS-record will remain in cache for longer
time.

Set your Recursive/caching DNS-Server portion in BIND to listen on
127.0.0.1:53, And set your machine's Network adapter's DNS-Server
settings to use only 127.0.0.1 as your DNS-Server, then all local
software can use your own DNS-Server, running on 127.0.0.1 ip-address.

Do not use remote DNS-Servers like Google DNS Servers, as they
LOGs/RECORDs indefinitely.  Using your own DNS-Server (mentioned
above) is better than using any other's DNS-Server.  You can use
Google dns server only when you are using a VM (or physical machine)
when you've configured it's (operating) system to obtain ALL dns
results via going through Tor-network.  Computer which uses
Tor-client or Tor-server software, such machine should not use
Google DNS, but connecting to Google DNS-Servers via Tor-network is
ok, imho.  If you do not use any Tor or any Anonymity related
software, then using Google-DNS directly is somewhat ok, but still
try to avoid, as they do not respect user's Privacy (a fundamental)
rights.

If you must or want to specify remote DNS-Server, then see/find
OpenNIC based DNS Servers, (opennic's website have feature to list
dns-servers located in various areas and can also show result based
on feature), read description, some will show they DO NOT
LOG/RECORD, some will show they support DNSSEC, use such.  You may
also see info on other remote Recursive/Caching DNS-Servers from :
OARC, CZ.NIC, Swiss Privacy Foundation, German Privacy Foundation
e.V., etc. See ref [1].

If you configure your DNS-Server(s) to use TLS/SSL certificate based
encryptions, or DNScrypt, (for connecting with one or set of remote
DNS-Servers), (basically, as long as you are using some type of
encryption for DNS query and result), then someone in the middle
cannot see your open DNS packets, and cannot modify/alter it either.

If you use or will use remote DNS-Servers, then you should use
encrypted connection to DNS-Servers, and you should connect to such
via Tor-network (aka, anonymity supported network).

DNS2SSOCKS, socat, etc various tools can allow a machine to use
remote DNS servers via Tor-network, (Tor network is accessed via
SOCKS5 support/protocol).

"Unbound" (from NLnet Labs), a full DNSSEC supported DNS-Resolver
software, (and also BIND from ISC), can be configured locally, to
connect with DNS2SOCKS, socat, etc tools based tunnel and connect
with remote DNS-Servers by going thru Tor-network.  But your DNS
query and result logs/records will remain in the hand of remote DNS
server operators, unless they declared that they do not Log/Record
and trust-worthy for that matter.  Or alternatively, configure DNS
server or resolver software to function as your OWN full
Recursive/Caching DNS-Server.  Then your own DNS query records/logs
will remain with you.

Best is to turn off any logging/recording in BIND/unbound dns
software, unless you are troubleshooting something.

You must Install and configure your DNS-Server or Resolver software
to run from inside the Chroot/Jail environment.

-- Bright Star.

[1]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/DnsResolver/PublicDnsResolvers

Received from Yoriz, on 2013-09-07 11:47 AM: