[tor-relays] Running Bind locally

Yoriz tor at privshield.com
Sat Sep 7 18:47:09 UTC 2013

My VPS hoster has configured DNS as follows:

   $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
   nameserver 8.8.8.8
   nameserver 8.8.4.4

I believe these are Google's DNS servers. Unfortunately, they are somehow unreliable (possible rate-limited by Google). My tor logs are filled with:

   Sep 07 16:37:24.000 [warn] eventdns: All nameservers have failed
   Sep 07 16:37:25.000 [notice] eventdns: Nameserver 8.8.8.8:53 is back up
   Sep 07 16:37:35.000 [warn] eventdns: All nameservers have failed
   Sep 07 16:37:35.000 [notice] eventdns: Nameserver 8.8.4.4:53 is back up

Are there other free, open DNS services that might be more reliable/less rate-limited?

Does Tor use the system DNS configuration? In other words, if I would run a local Bind daemon, would my tor exit use it? Is that bad for the safety of the tor user, as the Bind daemon effectively becomes an audit log of all domains visited by tor users?

// Yoriz