[tor-relays] Upgrade your relay to 0.2.4.17-rc?

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Fri Sep 6 05:59:10 UTC 2013

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 06:54:57 -0400
Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I just released 0.2.4.17-rc. Hopefully there will be debs of it soon.
>
> It comes with a new feature:
>     - Relays now process the new "NTor" circuit-level handshake requests
>       with higher priority than the old "TAP" circuit-level handshake
>       requests. We still process some TAP requests to not totally starve
>       0.2.3 clients when NTor becomes popular. A new consensus parameter
>       "NumNTorsPerTAP" lets us tune the balance later if we need to.
>       Implements ticket 9574.
>
> So the more relays that upgrade to 0.2.4.17-rc, the more stable and fast
> Tor will be for 0.2.4 users, despite the huge circuit overload that the
> network is seeing.

Can we have a torrc option to make a relay NTor-only?

Could help on some CPU-limited relays like the Raspberry Pi or (in my case)
Intel Atom.

With some mechanism to ensure that TAP-only clients do not even see or try to
use that relay (so they don't experience any broken connections).

--
With respect,
Roman