[tor-relays] Appropriate bandwidth limits for my home relay

Nick tor-relays at njw.me.uk
Thu Sep 5 14:50:40 UTC 2013

Hi all,

After running my relay for a bit on my home connection I found that
Tor would happily consume all the bandwidth available, which
(coupled with the number of connections overwhelming my home router,
I suspect) caused my internet connection to be unusable for other
things.

So I set the RelayBandwidthRate and RelayBandwidthBurst values to 20
KBytes, as 20KBytes/s is a reasonable amount of bandwidth I can
spare (total upload bandwidth on the connection is around
50KBytes/s). However now atlas.torproject.org shows an average of
only around 0.5 - 1.5 Kbytes/s usage, and says the advertised
bandwidth is 10 Kbytes/s.

Should I increase the RelayBandwidthRate value to more than I can
comfortably provide, on the basis that it isn't likely to all be
used? Or should I just relax and let the network use my relay as
little as it likes?

Sometime quite soon my home internet connection will get much
faster; I'm aware the relay is of questionable value at present
bandwidth levels, but they should increase in not too long.

Thanks,

Nick