[tor-relays] MaxAdvertisedBandwidth, MaxOnionQueue and so on

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Wed Sep 4 11:17:04 UTC 2013

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for running a relay!

On 09/04/2013 01:00 PM, Thomas Themel wrote:
> Your computer is too slow to handle this many circuit creation requests! Please
> consider using the MaxAdvertisedBandwidth config option or choosing a more
> restricted exit policy.

Right now, Tor sees a lot of circuit creation requests due to what most
people think is a botnet that is using Tor.

The second issue is that Tor does not scale well across multiple CPU
cores yet. Looks like, either way, you are hitting the limit of your CPU
core.

> - I've also set MaxOnionQueue 250, but that didn't change much. Any other suggestions?

MaxOnionQueue should not be necessary or helpful to set in modern Tor
releases.

If you see a maxed out CPU core, what you might want to try is run
multiple Tor processes in parallel. We do that, although usually for
modern CPUs this is only necessary at and above roughly 100 Mbit/s.

https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server#multiple_tor_processes

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/