[tor-relays] onionoo

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Sep 3 08:37:48 UTC 2013

On 9/2/13 6:20 PM, eliaz wrote:
> On 9/2/2013 10:02 AM, Kostas Jakeliunas wrote:
>> Perhaps you're using it yourself, but one of the ways to probe Onionoo in a
>> user-friendly way is the new Globe tool [1]. It includes bridges as well as
>> relays.
>>
>> [1]: http://globe.rndm.de/
>
> Thanks for the pointer, globe is interesting. What is the latency of
> globe (and the browser bundle map, for that matter)? I've assumed that
> the circuits shown on the map are high-consensus, but I haven't been able to
> correlate globe's top 10 with relays shown on the map. Maybe I'm being
> impatient here too?

Globe's latency is the same as Onionoo's, so up to two hours.  The
browser bundle map uses your local tor's network information which may
be up to two hours out of date, too.  So, similar latencies.

So, why are the two lists different.  Hmm...

For one, I just found that Globe lists the top 10 relays in random
order.  I opened a ticket for that:

https://github.com/makepanic/globe/issues/25

For another one, I found that non-running relays are listed by Globe,
too.  Opened another ticket for that:

https://github.com/makepanic/globe/issues/26

But I can't currently say what criteria the browser bundle map uses to
list top 10 relays.  Is it really by consensus weight and not by
advertised bandwidth?

Best,
Karsten