[tor-relays] Which clock is out of sync on VPS non-exit relay?

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Mon Sep 2 04:13:59 UTC 2013

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 19:54:27 -0800
I <beatthebastards at inbox.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Roger,
>
> I believe the server is in France and ultimately owned by a German company but it has some sort of connection to the USA and I am ten hours ahead.
> I have tried the timezone as Germany and Belgium to see, and set the clock on the server for the nine hours difference.
> Also I have tried my clock separately.

Let me guess, this is an OpenVZ or VServer-based VPS... You can't change
date/time on those from inside the VPS. And date/time issues are so common on
those, a symptom of lousy server management from the provider admins. You need
to contact the provider and ask them to fix their date/time.

To check if they fixed it, run in your VPS:

  TZ=UTC date

And then compare what you get with e.g.:

  http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

Both should match to begin with, without that no matter which timezone you
specify it won't work.

--
With respect,
Roman