[tor-relays] new relays

Jon Gardner jon at brazoslink.net
Sun Sep 1 21:43:51 UTC 2013

On Aug 28, 2013, at 5:09 PM, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 11:12:01PM +0200, Tor Exit wrote:
>> Why is it so bad if a Tor exit operator tries to match the use of
>> their node with their own moral beliefs?
>
> I really would like to support this if I could.

I appreciate your kind and well-reasoned response, Roger.

For those others who, through (unkind, often poorly spelled, and logically flawed) mockery and name-calling, hypocritically demanded censorship of the very idea that individual liberty necessarily involves individual moral responsibility, I have composed a poem.

A few puerile punks would use Tor
To browse for big boobs, nothing more
"Rights of humanity"
Was just false piety
So bit by bit all the web closed the door.

If you want to use Tor for immoral things, go ahead--it will obviously accommodate you--but please stop pretending to speak for those of us who run Tor nodes because we actually care about human rights and liberty, and aren't just using those nice catch-phrases as a cover for licentiousness and mindless self-gratification. You're a large part of the reason that Tor is "technology non grata" in so many places, to so many people that would otherwise fully support its mission.

Hugs,
Jon