[tor-relays] Amazon abuse report

Runa A. Sandvik runa.sandvik at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 12:17:03 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Tom Ritter <tom at ritter.vg> wrote:
> On 29 October 2013 22:53, Sanjeev Gupta <ghane0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, to some extent.  I edited the config, as I was willing to pay for the
>> extra bandwidth, and enabled an Exit Relay.
>>
>> I was under the impression that this was permitted.
>
> Amazon does not like Exit Nodes running in EC2.  I'm not sure if there
> was a specific reason bridge vs relay was chosen, but I do know that
> exit nodes weren't an option.

When deciding whether or not to build Tor Cloud relay-by-default
images, we first estimated how much bandwidth an average relay is
pushing per week [1] - 251 GiB/wk. Instead of offering users to run
slow, expensive, and less than average, relays in the cloud, we opted
for bridges only.

[1]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4387

--
Runa A. Sandvik