[tor-relays] minimum useful ram

Gordon Morehouse gordon at morehouse.me
Sun Oct 27 21:06:44 UTC 2013

I:
> Gordon,
>
> Thanks.
>>> To see if it was possible just now I set up an obfsproxy bridge
>>> as best I could but it failed to download properly.
>
> I reinstalled Ubuntu 11.10 64 and free -m brought this.. total
> used       free     shared    buffers     cached Mem:           256
> 38        217          0          0         26 -/+ buffers/cache:
> 12        243 Swap:            0          0          0

That looks good for the RAM - a bridge should be fine with that, and
that's actually a darn good set of numbers for Ubuntu!

> Again following the instructions
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en#development apt-get
> install tor deb.torproject.org-keyring brought this...
>
> Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main libevent-2.0-5
> amd64 2.0.12-stable-1 [132 kB] Err
> http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/ experimental-oneiric/main
> tor amd64 0.2.4.17-rc-1~oneiric+1 404  Not Found [IP: 82.195.75.101
> 80] Get:2 http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/ oneiric/main
> deb.torproject.org-keyring all 2012.08.29 [4138 B] Err
> http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/ experimental-oneiric/main
> tor-geoipdb all 0.2.4.17-rc-1~oneiric+1 404  Not Found [IP:
> 82.195.75.101 80] Get:3 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
> oneiric/universe torsocks amd64 1.1-4 [69.7 kB] Fetched 206 kB in
> 0s (290 kB/s) Failed to fetch
> http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/pool/main/t/tor/tor_0.2.4.17-rc-1~oneiric+1_amd64.deb
> 404  Not Found [IP: 82.195.75.101 80] Failed to fetch
> http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/pool/main/t/tor/tor-geoipdb_0.2.4.17-rc-1~oneiric+1_all.deb
> 404  Not Found [IP: 82.195.75.101 80] E: Unable to fetch some
> archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

This appears to happen because nobody has put a binary package
0.2.4.17-rc-1~oneiric+1_amd64.deb into
http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/pool/main/t/tor/ - this is a
problem on the Tor Project's repo, not with how you are attempting to
install.

You could attempt to build the package from source, the instructions
are at https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en#source - this is
how I install Tor onto the Raspberry Pi, for example.

Any tor .deb repo-master reading: has there been a discussion of a
package autobuilder?  Is there such a thing?  Missing packages like
this - not good :(

> If there are $12USD a year servers available can't a package be
> set-up to utilise them.

Yes, this is merely an unexpected (and fixable) problem :)

> I'm burrowing through the Linux lingo as well as I can but it's a
> real test of mettle!

Having used Linux since the mid-1990s, I agree. ;)

> Have you looked at the Cubie 2 board?

I own two of them, and my project to make the Raspberry Pi into a
super-reliable Tor relay has expanded to have a goal of supporting
BeagleBone boards (as Josh Dakto mentions) and Cubieboards.  The
Cubieboard 2 is very, very new and there are still a large number of
bugs and many firmware releases, but it's a very capable machine -
more than double the Pi (and with 1024MB of RAM and SATA!) for less
than double the cost.

> To seek finance to distribute a devoted board with the best balance
> of components and cost would lead to more Tor network I reckon.

The goal of my project[1] (which is very very pre-alpha right now) is
to make it really easy for people to run reliable, trouble-free relays
and bridges on these inexpensive machines, and then maybe some angel
will come along and buy $10,000 worth of them and give them away :)

1. https://github.com/gordon-morehouse/cipollini

Best,
- -Gordon M.