[tor-relays] Advice on dealing with ISP's response to DMCA takedown notice.

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 04:56:05 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
> You might like the 'reduced exit policy':
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorExitGuidelines
>
> But it sounds like it won't entirely solve your problem at this point,
> and it's time for either diplomacy and education, or some other ideas.
> I'll let others chime in with suggestions.

As others have said:
- Work together with your hoster to adjust the policy
- Offer to handle their ticket issues for them by asking for the
full email of the complaint with addresses you can reply to
(as a service operator in the US that's pretty much your
responsibility to field those directly, then that of your upstream
if you don't). Then contact the complainer, send them the Tor
docs, tell them your server has no data on it and get them
to remove you from their lists and close their case. Keep
your hoster informed and especially copy them on any
case closed or delisting success.
- Some relay operators opt to SWIP the address space
to them and effectively become the ISP of record.
- If those don't work, close your account yourself and tell
them that based on your poor experience with them that
you will let others know not to buy from them when the
topic of hosting comes up.
- Add an entry to the goodbadproviders wiki page and
point them to it.

Details for all of this are in the archives of this list.
Thanks for relaying traffic :)