[tor-relays] minimum ram

Gordon Morehouse gordon at morehouse.me
Mon Oct 21 15:15:44 UTC 2013

I:
> To see if it was possible just now I set up an obfsproxy bridge as
> best I could but it failed to download properly.

Can you be more specific about what this means?  What exactly happened?

> The instructions say set up Tor then the obfsproxy software which
> seemed to use up the ram. (I've reinstalled the OS from Ubuntu 11..
> to Quantal)

I generally use Debian for very low-end servers as it's pretty easy to
have a pared-down install that uses very little RAM for the OS.

When you first boot your VPS and don't have *anything* else running -
no Tor, no obfsproxy - what is the output of 'free -m'?

> Have I misunderstood something? Is there an easier way to set up a
> bridge like the Amazon ECC ones on a 256mB VPS that ab initio Linux
> people can try?

Not yet, although it's a worthy project - the difference is that
bridges need to be long-lived - you want it to be up for months or
years, which AFAIK is not the case with the "free" Amazon EC2
instances, they're temporary relays unless you decide to pay for EC2.
 (The free usage amount on EC2 does not allow you to operate even for
a whole month, fine for relays in some sense, sort of, not good for
bridges).

> If the Tor Project wants to be really big it would seem to be
> better to be easier to provide resources such as your idea of a box
> anyone can plug in.

Well, they only have a few really smart people working on the core
anonymity and crypto problems that people like me could never hope to
understand, so it's up to me and you and other people who understand
the importance of Tor to help provide those solutions.  :)

A plug-and-forget bridge package with a list of "known good" microVPS
providers would be a great thing, though.

My Raspberry Pi/single-board-computer project will definitely end up
in more bridges if I complete it, because it will urge the user to be
a bridge if they're really too slow to be a relay (and automatically
reconfigure itself if their link becomes too slow and stays that way
for a long time - at least, that's the plan).

Best,
- -Gordon M.