[tor-relays] Botnet issues and upgrading to 0.2.4.x

Gordon Morehouse gordon at morehouse.me
Sun Oct 20 16:55:54 UTC 2013

Dan Staples:
> In my experience, setting the bandwidth advertising options does
> nothing to stop the "storms" of circuit creation requests.

This is absolutely correct, and I've been working on this problem with
the Pi for months now.

> It *will* affect the *average* bandwidth used by your relay, but
> every once in a while, I'll still get circuit-creation storms that
> completely overwhelm my RPi and knock it offline (I'm talking
> continuous 3Mbps bandwidth use for several hours when
> MaxAdvertisedBandwidth is 200 kbps). It seems from past discussions
> on the mailing list, this is still an unresolved issue.

Correct.

I have an ongoing project to support Tor on small single-board
computers, including the Raspberry Pi.[1]

In the contrib/90_slowboards dir, I've included some iptables rules
that drastically reduce, but *do not eliminate*, Tor's vulnerability
to running out of physical RAM and being killed during a SYN
flood/circuit creation storm.

I've also included some fail2ban[2] rules that ban hosts for short
periods of time when they ignore the iptables SYN throttling.  However
(and I'll push a commit in the next hour changing this), I'd suggest
you use a "findtime" of 60 and "bantime" of 90, not 300 and 600 as I
first pushed to the repo.  Please see this post[3] for more technical
talk/questions, which I *just* made before reading yours and writing
this reply.  Please be aware that the fail2ban fallback is much less
battle-tested (on my relay) than the iptables SYN throttling.

Incidentally, I host binary .debs compiled *for Raspbian* at [1] as
well, if you trust random internet dudes and don't want to compile it
yourself.  A deterministic build is a (very long-term) goal.

1. https://github.com/gordon-morehouse/cipollini

2. http://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

3.
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2013-October/003074.html