[tor-relays] Relay behind VPN router

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Oct 20 08:43:42 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 08:40:12AM +0200, Jochen wrote:
> I have a TOR relay behind a Tomato router on an ADSL line. I activated
> the vpn client to route all traffic through privateinternetaccess.com.

What's the rationale for this, if you have access to Tor?

Unless you're generating a lot of traffic to the detriment of
the network Tor will offer you superior privacy than a commercial
VPN.

> Because a TOR relay does not work behind NAT without port forwarding,
> I'm looking for a way how to route tor traffic directly to my internet
> provider. I can add static routes, but I don't now the IPs in advance.

What kind of VPN is this, OpenVPN? Can you still have DMZ and the VPN route
co-exist?

> Maybe there is no problem to route outgoing traffic through the vpn
> tunnel, but how can I make my relay publish my WAN IP instead of the
> tunnel IP? My WAN IP is changing every day, so I cannot configure it as
> static.

Tor attempts to auto-discover your WAN IP address, if it's not given.