[tor-relays] Botnet issues and upgrading to 0.2.4.x

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Oct 14 19:33:40 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 08:26:52PM +0100, Chris Whittleston wrote:
> So I just started running a non-exit relay on a Raspberry Pi, and have hit
> a problem where it seems huge numbers of circuits are being created which
> overwhelms the system and can cause tor to crash. I read here (
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/how-to-handle-millions-new-tor-clients)
> that upgrading to 0.2.4.x might help with this

No, 0.2.4.x means that you make things better for users, but alas it
does not magically make your relay receive fewer circuit create requests.

>, so I followed the
> instructions here:
>
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian#development

Read the bold words on that page that start with "Raspbian is not Debian."

> And ran apt-get update, apt-get upgrade to get the latest version which
> turned out to be 0.2.4.11-alpha-1~wheezy+1
>
> There seems to be a problem with this though as when the install finishes
> (or when I try to restart tor), I get this error:
>
> pi at torberrypi /etc/tor $ sudo /etc/init.d/tor restart
> /etc/init.d/tor: line 111:  9701 Illegal instruction     $DAEMON
> $VERIFY_ARGS > /dev/null
> [FAIL] Checking if tor configuration is valid ... failed!
> /etc/init.d/tor: line 111:  972
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian#development4 Illegal instruction
> $DAEMON $VERIFY_ARGS 1>&2
>
> Tor is not starting and I'm unsure how to proceed - help appreciated! :)

You might like
http://tor.stackexchange.com/questions/242/how-to-run-tor-on-raspbian-on-the-raspberry-pi

--Roger