[tor-relays] Bandwidth usage and relay anonymity

krishna e bera keb at cyblings.on.ca
Thu Oct 10 00:53:26 UTC 2013

On 13-10-09 12:24 PM, Lunar wrote:
> Raistlin Majere:
>> Let me try another way of asking that first question .. how much
>> bandwidth is required for the relay to be useful?
>
> See “Is it worth running a relay on a home broadband connection?” in
> <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2013-July/028996.html>
>
>     Roger Dingledine drew the cut [23]: “at this point if you‘re at least
>     800kbit (100KBytes/s) each way, it‘s useful to be a relay.”
>
>     [23] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2013-July/002255.html

The other half of that answer to an FAQ is, for those who dont have that
sort of bandwidth to share, it is still worthwhile to run a bridge.
Bridges are supposed to be lesser known and have lower consequences to
the network if one of them is exposed, but can be life-saving to Tor
users who need one.