[tor-relays] hardware accelerated crypto

Gordon Morehouse gordon at morehouse.me
Wed Oct 2 18:59:30 UTC 2013

Happily, it DOES appear that there may be some hope for the Allwinner A20 based Cubieboard 2 (I haven't checked for the original Cubieboard yet):

"The Security System (SS) is one encrypt/ decrypt function accelerator that is suitable for a variety of
applications. It supports both encryption and decryption. Several modes are supported by the SS
module.

It features:

AES, DES, 3DES, SHA-1, MD5 are supported by this system
ECB, CBC, CNT modes for AES/DES/3DES
128-bit, 192-bit and 256-bit key size for AES
160-bit hardware PRNG with 192-bit seed
32-word RX FIFO and 32-word TX FIFO for high speed application
Support CPU mode and DMA mode
Interrupt support"

http://dl.linux-sunxi.org/A20/A20%20User%20Manual%202013-03-22.pdf

So, it may be a little help, anyway.

The Cubieboard 2 is great for small Tor relays - it'd definitely be more capable than a Raspberry Pi model B as it has double the RAM and 2 more powerful cores with ARMv7 instead of ARMv6.

It's also almost double the price (for considerably more than double the computer), but I don't expect that to last long.

Best,
-Gordon M.