[tor-relays] Relay security, re: local network

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Tue Oct 1 19:08:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 02:08:13PM +0300, Joe wrote:
> I'll have to reconsider, then. I assume middle relays see less
> traffic than exits?

I don't think that's true, currently it seems we need more middle nodes
than exit nodes based on my reading of the network statistics.

> I also keep reading exits are desperately needed

Generally true, but non-exit (middle) nodes are also needed.

> and i do have bandwidth to spare for an exit, about 10 mbit. I would
> also be running the exit through a VPN, so my own IP would not be
> published,

If you do this, I hope you can keep us updated here on the list with how
well it's working!  In theory a VPN should have some problems with Tor,
but I'm very curious to see how well it actually works.

> and GUFW would block all outgoing traffic to LAN from the
> computer running the exit. All other ports would be blocked as well,
> and since it's routed through a VPN, i wouldn't even need to open
> any ports in my own hardware firewall, but at the VPN provider's end
> instead. I do have permission from the provider to run an exit.
>
> Still, i'm now hesitant. Thanks for the replies.

Given that you have permission from the provider, I don't see any reason
not to run a middle or even an exit node.  The network firewalling
you've described should mitigate any risk internal to your network.

-andy