[tor-relays] Warnings in log

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Oct 1 19:00:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 08:42:51PM +0200, Konrad Neitzel wrote:
> I am running a tor node (idkneitzel) on a linux server (using opensuse
> 12.3).
>
> Today I saw:
> Oct 01 14:20:34.000 [warn] Failing because we have 8163 connections
> already. Please raise your ulimit -n.
>
> So I modified the /etc/security/limits.conf and added:
> *               soft    nofile          65000
> *               soft    nofile          65535
> and rebooted the system but now I got that warning again. Did I
> missunderstood the warning and should I add other entries, too?

Did you mean to write "hard" for one of these softs?

I'm not sure what happens if you set two soft limits and leave the hard
limit alone, but "it doesn't do what you want" would not surprise me.

> And now I also got the following warning:
> Oct 01 18:25:19.000 [warn] Cannot get strong entropy: no entropy source
> found.

That sounds like a side effect of not having enough file descriptors.

Are you using a Tor rpm (in which case maybe you should submit a patch
for it), or just installing from source (in which case maybe you should
use a Tor rpm)?

--Roger