[tor-relays] Newly configured relay questions

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Nov 30 22:23:34 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 02:22:55PM -0500, Conrad Rockenhaus wrote:
> I brought a new non-exit relay online:
>
> ec2bridgerocks001 D06C B145 56C1 F73A F317 B555 C279 2F7B 105C 95B4
>
> It's been operational for 6 days now, Tor has been reporting bandwidth
> usage, but when I try to look for it in the TorStatus page, it's not
> listed.  I'm operating this relay on EC2 and I've opened all the usual
> ports.

It sounds very much like you're running a bridge relay, not a public
relay:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/bridges
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#RelayOrBridge

> I've also checked the Tor metric portal, can't find it there either.
>
> So, I'm wondering - is there something I missed in the configuration?
> The torrc is pretty much the default EC2 one.
>
> Thank you I appreciate any thoughts/assistance.

It's probably the 'bridgerelay 1' in your torrc that is doing it.

That said, running a public relay on EC2 is quite expensive, since
Amazon's prices for bandwidth are not competitive.

--Roger